Customer Summary Report, expenses treated as income

David Etlinger etlinger.david at gmail.com
Sun May 19 23:04:52 EDT 2013

Hi,

Gnucash 2.4.13 on Mac 10.8.3. When running customer summary report,
expenses appear to have the wrong sign, increasing rather than
decreasing profit. For example I'll get entries like this:

Customer    Profit    Markup    Sales    Expense
Mr. Money    $40.00    125%    $32.00    -$8.00

When it seems clear profit should be $24 = $32-$8. Actually I have a
hunch... when I have an expense for a client, I'm not usually creating a
bill and charging it back to that client. I expense it directly to
"reimbursable expenses" and then invoice the customer, allocating income
for that line to the same "reimbursable expenses" account. This is
pretty standard accounting as I understand it. Is my hunch correct; does
this report only work right if expenses are entered as bills charged
back to the customer? I really don't want to have to create a bill for
every little expense... can anyone shed some insight? Thanks for any help!