Enter trans. in register problem

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon May 20 17:19:21 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, May 20, 2013 4:21 pm, amenditman wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I wish I understood what was going on.

What is going on is that you opened up an account (Assets:Cash on Hand),
and then specified the same account (Assets:Cash on Hand) as the Transfer
account, thereby creating a transaction to/from the same account.

> I have been using GnuCash for some years to do basic bookkeeping for
> my home based business and have never seen this problem before.

Probably because you never specified the current open register account as
your transfer account.

> It started today after I had already entered an entire months work.
> When I got to the last cash transaction I wanted to enter, it went
> crazy.
>
> I guess I want to know why it changed behavior.
> Did I accidentally press some keyboard shortcut to change a setting
> from what it had been?

Unlikely.  You might have changed accounts by accident without knowing it.

> Bob Pianka
> PC Corps
> 813-892-2068
> amenditman at gmail.com

-derek

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 8:04 PM, David Carlson-4 [via GnuCash]
> <ml-node+s1415818n4662006h52 at n4.nabble.com> wrote:
>> On 5/20/2013 12:14 PM, amenditman wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am experiencing a strange problem.
>>>
>>> When I am entering a transaction in an account journal it is
>>> duplicating
>>> the
>>> entry with an opposite charge.
>>> Essentially, cancelling my entry.
>>>
>>> Example
>>>
>>> 01/27/2013   POS   Newegg     Assets Cash on Hand    Spend 52.99
>>> <ENTER>
>>>
>>> When I press the enter key, the transaction appears right in the
>>> register
>>> as
>>> I have entered it.
>>> But another transaction also shows up at the same time.
>>>
>>> 01/27/2013   POS  Newegg  Assets Cash on Hand   Receive 52.99.
>>>
>>> Which if I delete the second, the first is also deleted.
>>>
>>> Obviously, I have accidentally hit some magic key combo without knowing
>>> it.
>>> How do I get this to go back to the default settings?
>>> I have looked all over the Preferences for the account and for GnuCash,
>>> no
>>> luck finding anything which sounds like this.
>>> What do you even call this weird behavior?
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Bob P.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>> You are seeing double entry bookkeeping in action.  You need to assign
>> the second entry to another account such as Expense:Computer.  Read the
>> fine manual.
>>
>> David C

>> NAML
>

> --

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745