General Ledger Issue: Unable to clear transaction once transacttion is "entered"

John Filsak john.filsak at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 06:46:57 EDT 2013

On 31 October 2013 19:34, drouinj2 <drouinj at shaw.ca> wrote:

> First Kudos to the people behind GnuCash; pretty cool tool!
>
> Anyway, I currently moving from QuickBooks to GnuCash. For the most part,
> the conversion  has been
> relatively easy and successful. Until now, I have used the "General Ledger"
> window to enter most transactions. In the case of "regular" transaction, I
> have also duplicated existing transactions in each specific "Account"
> register.
>
> This is a new issue relating the General Ledger, although entering the
> transaction using an Account register will yield the same results.
>
> Basically, up to recently, when entering a "completed" transaction, the
> data
> is moved to each account as expected.
>
> For instance, entering a regular "Monthly Bank Service Charge: would
> involved
>         1) crediting the "Assets: Current Assets:Checking Account", and
>         2) debiting the "Expenses: Bank Service Charge" account by the
> same amount.
>         3) "clicking" the Enter button,
>         4) At this point, in the past, the transaction would be "cleared"
> from the
> general ledger and all required accounts are updated as required.
>
> Now, with this new issue, all required accounts are updated as required,
> but
> the transaction is NOT cleared from the general ledger. Just to be clear
> and
> avoid any language issues, by clearing the General ledger, I mean "not
> being
> visible in the ledger. Of course, the transaction still appears in the
> General Journal as expected.
>
> Just so you know, I have something like 19 pages worth the transactions. Up
> to new issue, the earlier behavior has been consistent. I have tried many
> different transactions, deleted the "un-cleareable ones", etc. Still
> getting
> the same results.
>

> Can any one tell what these "un-cleareable transactions" mean? I will
> gladly
> provide more information if required.  Off hand I am not sure what else to
> add here. This is a rather simple activity. I simply have no idea of what i
> am doing wrong?
>
> Any help is welcome.
>
> Jean Drouin
>
> Thanks in advance.

I think the General Ledger is set up to show only two months of
transactions: the current month and the previous month. If you have been
entering transactions from before the previous month they will disappear
from the ledger, but show up in the relevant accounts (I've just tried it).
Entries covering last month and this month will remain in the ledger until
next month, when last month will disappear (if you see what I mean).

Regards,

John.