Equity:Opening Balances displays number of stocks rather than monetary value

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 1 10:04:52 EDT 2013

Hi,

Shane Drower-Copley <bluekable at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> I have checked the account type - stock and the security - STX40 (the
> one I originally created with it's own price). So I don't think either
> of those were the problem.
>
> I found a work around. What I did was simply change the price of the
> stock in the transaction line - fortunately the price stuck, however
> each new transaction will require me to do the same thing. Is that
> normal, or should the transaction line pick up the price from the
> security that the account has?

Oh, you didn't enter in the price?!?  Well, then, that's your issue!
Yes, you need to manually enter in the price.  GnuCash cannot know
exactly what price you paid for a commodity.  Even when you get the
price quote, that might not be exactly what *you* paid.  So yes, you
need to enter in the price (or # shares) each time.  Specifically, you
should enter 2 of the 3 fields: #shares, price, and total value.
GnuCash can (and will) compute the third.  I recommend #shares and total
value.