Chapter 8 - investment accounts

Jamestk davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Nov 3 06:57:21 EST 2013

Hello all and thanks for reading a somewhat tedious post.

Over the past 12 months I have migrated all of my accounts over to GNU cash
with one exception, Investment  Accounts. The reason for this is the complex
way in which GNU Cash appears to handle this type of account.

I have two installations of GNU cash on two separate machines, one for
actual data entry and the other for testing and setting up new accounts.

Being UK based a lot of the pre-defined terminology for auto account
hierarchy set-up is not applicable, I therefore have opted for the manual
account set-up as follows.

*>Current Assets>My Broker ABC>IBM*

So under the Current Assets tab (hierarchy) I have set up a 'stock' account
called 'My broker ABC' followed by a sub account 'IBM' which is the stock
being bought/sold.

Both accounts are set-up as 'stock' accounts, should the broker account be a
current account?

Looking at the auto set-up here
http://gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/invest_accounts1.html
<http://gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/invest_accounts1.html>   you
have 'my stockbroker' under three different section, 'Assets, 'Income and
'Expenses'.

I assume this is to record the three different types of income/expense
received/paid to 'My Stockbroker' ?

Also when entering splist transactions GNU Cash tends to 'orphen' a lot of
the balances for which I can see no reason. Data entry for one trade takes
ages due to constantly deleting lines filled in when competing a
transaction. Using the normal current or credit/loan accounts is far simpler
which makes me think something is very wrong in my trial set-up?

My last question which I have yet to try is netting off one transaction
against another, ie. you purchase say three lots of the same stock on
different days then on the forth day you sell one lot - can you nominate the
purchase for which the sale is set-off against?

Thanks again.