Support for Multiple Sets of Books

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Nov 8 09:31:07 EST 2013

Jay Ridgley wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I will be needing to have two separate sets of books soon. I would
> like to be able to use them at the same time (both sets OPEN). I would
> like to be able to use the same computer system  and not have to
> purchase a new system since both of the organizations are non profits.
>
> I think that I could have both reside on the same system and open
> (start gnucash) and close (quit gnucash) as I move between them.
> However having both open at the same time would be ideal.
>
> I use Ubuntu and would have each organization in a different
> workspace. Each will have banking and other interfaces necessary to
> support their activities. These items must be available concurrently.
>
> Thoughts please...

You are running linux? Are you planning on accessing both of these sets
of books as the same USER? (from the same login?) --- there are
different possible interpretations of "different workspace".

Putting on my "business analyst" hat for a moment, what are you trying
to do? What is the "business" purpose for working on the two sets of
books at the same time because that introduces the possible error of
entering a transaction in the wrong set of books. If I had to guess, it
is because there are a lot of interactions between these two
organizations. Working on them both at the same time is NOT the same
thing as having them both open at the same time (you can have more that
one user logged in at the same time -- think "switch user" which even
those using MS Windows XP and higher could do).

Michael