Support for Multiple Sets of Books

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 8 11:34:43 EST 2013

On 11/08/2013 08:31 AM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> Jay Ridgley wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I will be needing to have two separate sets of books soon. I would like to be
>> able to use them at the same time (both sets OPEN). I would like to be able to
>> use the same computer system  and not have to purchase a new system since both
>> of the organizations are non profits.
>>
>> I think that I could have both reside on the same system and open (start
>> gnucash) and close (quit gnucash) as I move between them. However having both
>> open at the same time would be ideal.
>>
>> I use Ubuntu and would have each organization in a different workspace. Each
>> will have banking and other interfaces necessary to support their activities.
>> These items must be available concurrently.
>>
>> Thoughts please...
>

> You are running linux? Are you planning on accessing both of these sets of books
> as the same USER? (from the same login?) --- there are different possible
> interpretations of "different workspace".

Yes, Ubuntu w/Cinnamon Desktop 12.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-55-generic-pae
i686). As the same user.

> Putting on my "business analyst" hat for a moment, what are you trying to do?
> What is the "business" purpose for working on the two sets of books at the same
> time because that introduces the possible error of entering a transaction in the
> wrong set of books. If I had to guess, it is because there are a lot of
> interactions between these two organizations. Working on them both at the same
> time is NOT the same thing as having them both open at the same time (you can
> have more that one user logged in at the same time -- think "switch user" which
> even those using MS Windows XP and higher could do).
>
> Michael

The two organizations are completely separate (one a symphony and the other is a
ministry). I just want to be able to move between them quickly since both will
have several applications running concurrently.  I would not be working on them
at the same time, however, I want to be able to respond quickly to the needs of
both. They would be in different workspaces on a single desktop, so the chances
of mixing transaction would be would be very small.

Regards,
Jay

--

Jay Ridgley