Opening balance reconciling investment account incorrect.

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 11 16:09:03 EST 2013

Harold—

The only explanation is that there is somewhere in your GnuCash data file a transaction that has been reconciled. I say this because GnuCash calculates the opening balance in the reconcile window from all the reconciled transactions. I think there are two possibilities here:

1) you are not viewing all the transactions in the file, which can happen if you have set your register to filter out transactions before a certain date (as, for example when viewing data in the General Ledger register), or

2) you have a transaction at some later date that has been reconciled. Contrary to typical user expectations, transactions with later dates in the file with a reconciled status will be included in the starting balance.

I am not sure what your situation might be.

David