Gnu (was Re: Question Regarding Sending Invoices Via Email)

team.gaming at gmx.de team.gaming at gmx.de
Tue Nov 12 01:25:53 EST 2013

>> ...Non-free software is never better.  Improvements from willing
>> contributors are blocked by the creator, and interoperability and
>> reuse is generally poor.
>>
>> Please stop advocating proprietary software - it hinders progress.
>
>Those points are debatable, but I would guess that if there were no
>proprietary software, there would be no free software either.

If there were no proprietary software, there would *only* be either
free software and open source software.

FOSS developers have day jobs, which may or may not be software
related.  And when it is software related, it's not necessarily
proprietary.

>Programmers have to eat, too.

Bank robbers must eat as well, but this hardly validates their career
choice (apart from perhaps an obscure hypothetical desperate
circumstance where it might be the only means to survive).

Generally, anyone capable of robbing a bank is also capable enough to
work a legit job.  And the same goes for software developers.  Someone
capable of writing proprietary software is also quite capable of
pursuing an ethical livelyhood.