Report Generation Question

Matthew Lybanon lybanon at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 13 17:29:05 EST 2013

I would like to produce a report from GnuCash that shows transactions from one account in the following format:

----------
Title

>From <date 1> to <date 2>

Starting balance:     $—

transaction 1
transaction 2
     …

Ending balance:     $—

The treasurer (a former accountant) in a club I belong to generates reports like this (using different software), and calls each a "register report."

I can't figure out how to do this using GnuCash's built-in reports, and I'm probably not competent to design a custom report.  I can get almost what I want from a General Ledger report or a Transaction Report that shows a running balance.  The biggest problem is showing the starting balance.  If any of the built-in reports can show that, I would appreciate some details.

I could probably accomplish what I want by entering dummy transactions of $0.00 at the beginning and end of the reporting period (even that wouldn't give me starting and ending balances on lines separate from the list of transactions), but I would like to find out a cleaner way.

I'm new to the list, and I realize this question may already have been answered.  I would appreciate any help.