Opening balance reconciling investment account incorrect.

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 12 20:36:10 EST 2013

Harold--

I'm not sure what exactly you are saying. While it may be confusing to manually un-reconcile transactions, it is not irreversible. You just have to ignore the value in the opening balance on the initial reconcile dialogue and then make sure that you get all the correct transactions selected in the subsequent reconcile window. Once that first reconciliation is completed, later iterations of the reconcile process should match your statements.

If you look at section 4.5 of the guide, it discusses these issues. I note especially 4.5.1, which describes the initial reconcile window, and includes the following:

Note
Sometimes, the opening balance in GnuCash does not match that found on your statement. This can happen the first time you reconcile your account or when a previously-reconciled transaction is de-reconciled or deleted. The first time you reconcile your account, the starting balance will be 0.00, thus probably not the opening balance of your account. When you reconcile the account, the opening balance for the account will be included in the reconciliation, and the result should balance.
In the case when a previously-reconciled transaction is accidentally de-reconciled, you can simply re-reconcile the transaction along with the transactions on the current statement, and the result should balance.
The case of accidentally deleting a previously-reconciled transaction presents more of a challenge; if you cannot determine what was deleted and restore it to the register, you will have to create a dummy transaction to get the reconciliation to finish.

HTH,
David