Opening balance reconciling investment account incorrect.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 13 13:33:17 EST 2013

hnaparst <harold at alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Haha, no matter.
>
> Of greater concern is that importing most of my QIF-file securities
> accounts fail.  There are 141 open import-related bugs, including some that
> are quite similar to what I am experiencing.
>
> Obviously, if I can't import my transactions, either from Quicken or from
> my broker, then I can't use Gnucash at all.

The issue you are experiencing is an encoding issue.  QIF does not
specify the actual encoding.  GnuCash uses UTF-8, but it is probably
failing to properly transcode from e.g. ISO encoding.

As an interim you can manually use 'iconv' to translate from ISO to UTF8
before you import the QIF.