Cut & Paste

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Wed Nov 20 19:14:57 EST 2013

I've not had any problems with that are peculiar to pasting from other
applications into OS X GnuCash. My main need for this is pasting the
transaction reference number from my bank's Web interface into the
corresponding GnuCash transfer popup that comes up when I complete the
reconciliation of my credit cards, and I schedule my payment from my
savings account to the credit card.

There are two things that get in my way:
1. I normally want to put the reference number into the Notes field of
the transaction, but there's no option to do that in the Transfer popup
window (only Memo); and
2. I can't paste from Firefox (or GnuCash, for that matter) into *any*
field in the Transfer popup.

Though I normally encounter this problem in the Transfer popup at the
end of a Credit Card reconciliation, the problem is also easily
reproduced in the Transfer Funds popup that comes up when the Transfer
button on the toolbar is clicked.

I've had this problem ever since I started using Gnucash on at least OS
X Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks. I certainly have it with GnuCash
2.4.13 in OS X Mavericks 10.9.

My workaround is to enter all the other transaction details in the
popup, create the transaction, then paste the bank's reference number
into the Notes field of the new transaction, which does work.

The pasting problem normally arises when I'm pasting from another
application (almost always Firefox), but I can't paste from GnuCash into
this popup, either.

Peter