End of financialyear

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 25 05:30:37 EST 2013

Hi Chris,

The FAQ and other site that Brian Funk listed give a pretty good summary of
how to do it either by creating a new file or by just using the closing
transactions either with the close books menu entry or by doing them
manually, which is more difficult as you have to manually transfer the
balance from each income and expense sub account to zero all the accounts.

You can simply leave it unclosed and use reports to generate the required
information as well as Derek implied. Gnucash is sufficiently flexible to
allow you to use it as you wish, which does make it harder for new users
without an accounting or bookkeeping background. I found it initially quite
confusing after having used MYOB and Quicken for many years, but well worth
the investment in understanding how it implements double entry accounting
and bookkeeping.

One of the recommendations was to use two summary equity accounts one for
income and one for. OK if it floats your boat, but a single account will do
as the income will be credited to the summary account and the expenses will
be debited to the account by the closing transactions and the resulting
balance is the profit or loss for that period. The sum of credits and debits
gives you the total income and expenses respectively. It depends on the
level of detail you require.

>From an accounting point of view, there is no absolute method as long as the
needs for reporting for taxation and to stakeholders e.g.
shareholders/owners/managers etc. can be met. More complicated for public
companies and organisations where legislation, defines reporting
requirements.

Best wishes

David