End of financialyear

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Nov 25 07:45:43 EST 2013

>One of the recommendations was to use two summary equity accounts one for
>income and one for (expenses). OK if it floats your boat, but a single account will do
>as the income will be credited to the summary account and the expenses will
>be debited to the account by the closing transactions and the resulting
>balance is the profit or loss for that period. The sum of credits and debits
>gives you the total income and expenses respectively. It depends on the
>level of detail you require.

Historical note (and explanation of what "income" and "expense" accounts
actually are)

In the earliest days of double entry bookkeeping (and we are talking
about hundreds of years ago) there were no income or expense accounts.
Transactions that were either income or expense items were immediately
posted to equity. That allowed immediate access to "net worth" (if a
running balance were kept) but lost information about categories of
income and expenses. They somebody got the bright idea that instead of
immediately posting to equity there could be temporary accounts (of
fundamental type equity) called "income" or "expense" and the
transactions could first be posted there. Then at the end of the
accounting period these (temporary) accounts would be closed to equity
by the total of each of these accounts. Well actually they were first
closed to another temporary account (fundamental type equity) called
"profit and loss" and the amount necessary to close this account to
equity would be the net profit or loss for the period. That let them see
BOTH the net gain or loss as well as the totals for each income or
expense category.

The point is that the software can show you these totals at any time
without actually closing the accounts.

Michael