End of financialyear

Egbert van der Wal ewal at pointpro.nl
Mon Nov 25 08:45:18 EST 2013

The book closing option has also intrigued me. To some extent, I can see
that with software the 'book closing' operation is not mandatory. Totals
of income and expenses can be calculated in on of the report, and the
balance can be seen in the register at any point in time. It is easier
to see the progress in the current period when you close the books, but
the same info is available through a report without book closing.

However, what I don't see is how equity changes when you do not close
the books. It will just stick to the opening balance and the sum of
expenses vs income will be added in the 'Retained Earnings' section,
right? Or am I missing some setting for the Balance Sheet that specifies
what the 'start' of the period for the balance should be, where all
expenses and income before this period are summed and added to the equity?

Best regards,

Egbert van der Wal