Wrong screen (Gnucash 2.4.13/Mac OS X 10.8.5)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Nov 27 13:45:28 EST 2013

On Nov 27, 2013, at 8:10 AM, Jim Hickstein <jxh at jxh.com> wrote:

> My laptop has an attached external monitor as the "primary" screen, but
> not, apparently, screen zero (or whatever) because Gnucash creates all
> its pop-ups on the internal screen, and I have to drag them out where I
> can see them.  (Lately I have to run with the laptop open for thermal
> reasons, and it faces away from me, making pointing to it tricky.
> Normally, closing it removes the ambiguity.)
>
> All my other stuff manages to do the right thing: either it starts out
> on the active screen, or it remembers its position when next opened.
> The main Gnucash window does this, too (possibly Quartz or gtk-osx is
> helping with that) but not the pop-ups, for example when you hit Duplicate.
>
> Has anyone else ever noticed this?  Filed a bug about it?  I'm capable
> of building this from source and maybe fixing it and submitting a patch,
> but I'd like some encouragement before I launch into that.
>
> Thanks!

This isn't really the answer to your question, but why don't you run the displays in mirror-mode?

The problem is that we mostly accept the default for opening helper windows and dialogs. On a Mac not running Mavericks that means the upper-left-hand corner of the display configured to be right-most in the Arrangement tab of System Preferences>Displays. Given the increasing prevalence of multi-monitor configurations, we should figure out how to keep our windows closer together. The relevant documentation is at https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/unstable/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-move and the articles linked to it.

Pop-ups means context menu to me, and those should appear at the mouse pointer. Is there a case where that's not happening?

Gtk-osx-integration deals mostly with menus. It hasn't any effect on window position; gtk+-2.0/gdk/quartz has most of the specializations for Mac window behavior, but I don't think that there are any for window or dialog position beyond interpreting the screen coordinates.

Regards,
John Ralls