Simple instructions to add my own quote source

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 27 14:30:59 EST 2013

farleykj <farleykj at gmail.com> writes:

> Ah, I attempted to obtain a quote for a sample bond with the command
>
> "gnc-fq-dump usbonds \$100-EE-1993-10"
>
> and get the response
>
> "No results found for stock $100-EE-1993-10"
>
> Which would seem to indicate that gnucash is not aware of all the offerings
> of my particular installation of Finance::Quote. At least that's what I
> interpret this response to be.

I would not interpret it that way at all.  I would interpret it as the
input code '$100-EE-1993-10' isn't found correctly.

You can verify that GnuCash/F::Q can see your grabber by just running
"gnc-fq-dump" without any arguments.  Does 'usbonds' show up there?  If
so, then the bug is in your grabber and/or input values.

> So, where do I go from here? I thought the difficult part of this would be
> writing the Perl stuff to do it.

That is the hard part.

> Is there anywhere I can look for an example of something that works to do
> this? I must be missing something crucial.

Look at any of the other grabbers.
Run gnc-fq-dump (by itself) to make sure F::Q sees it
Then get gnc-fq-dump working; figure out what input you need to provide.