SQL BackEnd Clarification

Klaus Dahlke klaus.dahlke at gmx.de
Wed Nov 27 15:48:19 EST 2013

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 21:05:00 +0100
Egbert van der Wal <ewal at pointpro.nl> wrote:

> On 27/11/13 20:27, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Egbert van der Wal <ewal at pointpro.nl> writes:
> >
> > I'm curious why you think that backing up a database is easier than
> > backing up an XML file?
> >
> > -derek
> >

> I'm not saying that it's easier, only that it's easier for me. The MySQL
> database is already being replicated to an external server and backups
> are made on-site and off-site at regular intervals, so that requires no
> additional configuration or storage. Adding a separate XML file to the
> mix requires additional configuration, so that's why a database is
> prefered in this situation.
>
> Anyway, I'll just try and mess about with the database functionality
> every now and again and if I run into any records not being saved, I'll
> be sure to trace the error and report it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Egbert

even if I repeat myself: I run gnucash for pure home/private purposes with the SQL backend (postgres) since many years with no problem or inconsitency at all. My main reason to do it: it is easier for me to write my own reports using either SQL or script language with accessing the database via ODBC or similar (read only!)

Best regards,
Klaus