Accounting for Capital Gain when Selling Shares

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 22:33:00 EST 2013

On 11/28/2013 2:38 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2013, at 3:36 AM, coolnodje <coolnodje at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to follow the Gnucash Guide, in section "8.7. Selling Shares"
>> to account for capital gain when selling shares.
>>
>> I find myself unable to follow the process, particularly when
>> reproducing the table 8.1 which indicates the Split transaction scheme:
>> The version of Gnucash I use (2.4.13) doens't allow for a null count in
>> stock shares:
>> Assets:Stock:SYMBOL	0	0	PROFIT	(Loss)
>>

>> I'm unable to create a split with a 0 amount of shares and a 0 price
>> that would balance the transfer from an Income: Capital gain account.
>> Gnucash would put a default 1 share priced at the value of the gain,
>> which messes up the share counts.
>>
>> (I'm using the trading account mode, I'm not sure this plays a role here)
>>
>> Is there any other way to account for capital gain when sell stocks?
> It’s important that there’s *no* entry in the shares field, Not 0, *nothing*.
> Otherwise Gnucash won’t recognize that the split shouldn’t affect the share count.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

The first couple of times you try to do it it seems tricky.  What I try
to do is first put the highlight into the row that should not have
numbers then tab into the number of shares box, press the delete key,
then tab into the price box, press the delete key again, then tab into
the Buy amount box if it is a gain or tab on to the Sell box to enter a
loss amount.  Then tab on to the next line.  It seems to work better if
you leave the mouse in the next room.
After you get the hang of it it gets easier.

David C