Simple instructions to add my own quote source

Ken Farley farleykj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 23:14:45 EST 2013

I figured it out, and it's nothing like what I thought. Apparently, on
Mac OSX, there are a couple of places where the Finance::Quote modules
are stored. I was trying to put stuff in one of them, and the other one
was where I was supposed to be putting things. The one being used on my
system is /Library/Perl/5.10.0/Finance/Quote.

The method I used to solve the problem and actually obtain quotes for my
bonds is:

(1) cd to /Library/Perl/5.10.0/Finance
(2) Change the permissions of Quote.pm to 666 or anything that will let
me edit it.
(3) Edit Quote.pm with your editor of choice (Emacs for me).
(4) Change the @modules value in the "new" sub to include my quote
module, in this case "USBonds".
(5) Save the file.
(6) Change the permissions of Quote.pm back to 444 to make it "safe" again.
(7) cd into the Quote directory.
(8) cp the new module Perl file here, in this case "USBonds.pm".

Note that for most if not all of the file manipulations, like chmod and
cp, you'll need to sudo them, as in "sudo cp ~/USBonds.pm ."

Once all these things are done, and presuming the Perl code is okay,
quotes should be available, tested by issuing the command

/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-dump

and looking for the module of interest, in this case "usbonds".

Crikey, this stuff is not necessarily straightforward, is it. But it's
good to finally figure it out.