Creative accounting

Kim C. Callis kim.callis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 06:18:42 EDT 2013

After a long hiatus, I have decided to start using GnuCash for both
business and personal use. As I was setting things up, I realized that
I had a recent invoice that I needed to submit. I am doing work at
clients hotel, and he is charging me rent for one of his room (Yes, a
crappy deal, but it discounted).

So I get ready to send out my invoice and it makes is way to accounts
receivable. The client charged me rent, so I want to apply that rent
to accounts receivable to reduce the total invoice. Since I already
have a house that rent in a warmer clime, I am curious on what magic
do I have to do so that setup a rent expense, plug in the money that
would have been give for rent and apply it to accounts receivable
against the client bill?

Or would it be easier to just add the rent amount directly to the
invoice to reduce the invoice price? The problem that I have there is
that there is no clear tracking of the rent expense at the client site
(because this is all funny money, meaning that it is not coming from
an asset account). I realize that I can't do it as a accounts payable,
since again, it is not real money, but the appearance of cost.

Any pointers would be greatly appreaciated! I don't want to have to
start building out GC and have to tear it all down again.