Compiling method and mysql on OSX

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 1 10:36:31 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm not a Mac user, but my understanding is that all you need is the
MySQL libdbi DBD driver.  So:

Benjamin Martens <bdmartens at gmail.com> writes:

[snip]
> With regards to getting GnuCash installed on OSX, with MySQL enabled,
> this is my understanding of the steps.  Please let me know if I am
> wrong:
>
> 1) Install GnuCash  (may simply use the apropriate (intel vs ppc)
> pre-packaged dmg from the gnucash website).
>  - easy
>  - in looking through the documentation, it seems like you don't have
> to compile the application yourself anymore, so it should have the
> capability to see the MySQL module when it is added

Right.  No compilation here.

> 2) Compile MySQL module
>  - complicated
>  - requires:
>  -- Install MySQL for OSX
>  -- Install XTools
>  -- Install gtk-osx  (find instructions, follow them for its order /
> dependencies / etc)

Umm... I don't see why this is necessary.

>  -- download .jhbuilrc-custom
>  -----  modify the .jhbuildrc-custom script as documented within it to
> enable mySQL
>  -- run sanitycheck
>  -- build the driver:  jhbuild build libdbi-drivers

This shouldn't be necessary, either..  You can just build the driver any
way you want

>  --- potentially several dependencies to hunt down and install
>   -- should produce the file: libdbdmysql.so

Yep.

> 3) Place the driver into: Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/lib/dbd
>  -- should be easy

Yep.

> 4) Open GnuCash, open MySQL location, and the rest should work easily.
>  - with the awareness that GnuCash is a one-user-at-a-time
> application, so only one person should be logged into the MySQL
> database at a time.

Exactly.

So really you're over-complicating your life by using jhbuild to create
the driver; you could use macports or possibly even homebrew to get it
built.  Then you just need to copy it into GnuCash.