Can't see "Since last run" window, Win7 (64 bit)

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 20:58:56 EDT 2013

On 10/3/2013 6:35 PM, aggie wrote:
> I've been using GnuCash for several years.  Since I installed it onto a new
> harddrive I have been having an issue with the "Since last run" window at
> startup.
>
> On opening the program the "Since last run" window appears for a split
> second and then disappears.  The icon is there in the taskbar (behind the
> Gnucash icon) but I can't see the actual window at all.
>
> Right clicking the taskbar icon gives me Move, Size and Close options, the
> options to Minimize, Maximize and Restore are greyed out.
>
> If I choose Move or Size, my curser changes to crossed arrows and I can move
> those arrows all over my monitor, but when I click that disappears.
>
> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling GnuCash but this didn't help.
>
> Does anyone know how I can find this window and make it appear - preferrably
> on the desktop at start up, the way it used to, but even some kind of help
> to manually make it appear after start up would be appreciated.
>

> --

I have not had the pleasure of using a dual-monitor arrangement, but
your description seems to fit that scenario.  Is it possible that your
video driver somehow got changed to use two monitors, even if you only
have one connected?

Otherwise, one way to address this might be to use your task manager to
close the unseen since last run window first, then close GnuCash and
restart it.

Alternatively (and more difficult), there is a certain filename.gcm file
containing your preferences for that file which you should be able to
find if you read this link:
<http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_backup_my_GC_environment.2C_including_preferences.3F>.
Try changing the name of that file while GnuCash is not running and
re-start GnuCash.  If you lose a lot of preferences such as customized
but unsaved reports, check back here for ideas on which lines to edit in
that file.

David C