initial entry of capital stock into equity

vzuyxbysla gnucash at zehmahyesh.e4ward.com
Fri Oct 4 19:23:44 EDT 2013

Hi all with another question.

I am trying to retrofit my journal to be more correct.

At my company's incorporation, there was created out of thin air capital
stock shares that are worth a token amount.  ($10).

Again, my disclaimer here for any dumbness stems from my not being an
accountant.

I wanted to account for this and created an account called Equity:Capital
Stock.

The only way I could think of to enter this amount in was to use the
Equity:Opening Balances account as the originator of the transaction, moving
it into the Equity:Capital Stock account, since this is not income, as
Income is the only other way to enter in amounts from nothing, as far as I
can tell.

The two problems that I see are that:
1. this leaves a value in Opening Balances forever, or until the corporation
is dissolved
2. this for some reason seems to need to be a negative value in the Opening
Balances account.

Can anyone steer me to the proper way to do this?

Many thanks in advance!