Accounting question: Switching retirement account managers

Michael DeBusk mdebusk at nlphilia.com
Sat Oct 12 21:43:07 EDT 2013

My employer recently switched account managers for our retirement
funds. There were a few days to transfer the account, and the price went
up a bit in the meantime, so I didn't end up with as many shares as I
had. (The fund is the exact same one.)

Being as I never took possession of the money, how do I account for the
"missing" shares? Should I show it as a sell and a buy? That seems the
simplest approach, but it isn't exactly accurate, because I've got many
years of unrealized gains in there.

I gotta say, I wish there had been a weird market crash during those
few days and a remarkable correction immediately thereafter, rather than
the teeny upward tick of the fund price that happened. ;)