New account type

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Fri Oct 18 15:42:34 EDT 2013

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:31:49 +0100
Sam Liddicott <sam at liddicott.com> wrote:

> Daily, she goes to each asset-account tab and enters a categorized
> expense against that account.
> She finds the need to select an account tabs for 1 or 2 item to be
> frustrating and wishes for a single view in which she can enter
> categorized expenses against any asset-account, with usefulness
> somewhat like ^T dialog but in table view.

As the months roll by, GnuCash accumulates a large number of
transactions in its file and the auto fill system becomes a major
benefit.
So when I put my earnings in I just start typing the first letters of
the description, and tab across and change the amount.

We who have years of data have this benefit, and forget the tedium of
entering everything those first times.

To summarise the ideas
Use the General Ledger
Use the quick entry eg E : Cl to enter transfer accounts
Keep a number of tabs open (You can colour those tabs to make finding
them easier)
Sort paperwork before start into groups for each asset account

One major advantage over the spreadsheet is when you decide to change
your expense account hierarchy, because you decide you need more
detail. You can just add in another account or subaccount and move
transactions around.

Liz