income statement showing inaccurate number

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Oct 22 17:22:47 EDT 2013

jp70m wrote:

>hi
>running version 2.4.13. built 2013-4-21
>
>i've entered serveral transactions and run an income statement from begining
>of year to a specific date June 30, 2013. there are transactions before this
>date and after. now, i found that only part of the transactions are
>reflected in the balance of the income statement account. the report stops
>taking transactions in on June 28. leaving out 29 & 30. Changing cut off
>date to Jul31 produces same odd. result.
>
>in the account summary report work when change the cut off date. any idea
>what is wrong?
>
>thanks
>jp

There may be a language problem (judging by the second paragraph) but
I'll try anyway.

a) Works reliably for me. It is normal to always be running an Income
Statement (aka Statement of Revenues aka Profit and Loss) between two dates.

b) When you say transactions within the date range are not showing up
what exactly do you mean. How are you telling that this has happened?
This report doesn't show transactions, just the balances of all included
income or expense accounts as affected by transactions within the
specified interval. Is what you are saying is that you aren't seeing THE
EFFECT of some transaction you know was in the period? In THAT case ........

c) Take a very close look at these "missing" transactions. Did they go
into the correct accounts? When you check the special "Orphan" and
"Imbalance" accounts these have ZERO balances? << example: you know you
had a BIG expense transaction on June 29. You entered this transaction
from your checking account and MEANT the other side of that transaction
to be the car repairs account -- darn replacing the blown engine was
expensive. But you accidentally hit enter and so the orphan of imbalance
account was used by default. Then that expense would NOT show up when
you ran the Income Statement (because not in an account of type income
or type expense) >>

Michael