Compiling GnuCash 2.5.6 on Ubuntu 13.10

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Oct 24 07:37:21 EDT 2013

On Thursday 24 October 2013 11:02:51 Colin Law wrote:
> On 24 October 2013 10:36, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
> > On Thursday 24 October 2013 09:46:04 Colin Law wrote:
> >> On 24 October 2013 08:12, Geert Janssens
> >> <janssens-geert at telenet.be>

> >> On Ubuntu 13.10 I can confirm that xsltproc and libxslt-dev are two
> >> separate packages with no inter-dependency.
> >
> > Thanks for the confirmation. But to be clear: I didn't expect
> > xsltproc to be part of libxslt-dev, but rather part of libxslt.
> > That's the way it's in the original sources. But from what I
> > understand on Ubuntu xsltproc is not part of the libxslt package
> > either. Is there an interdependency between those two
> No, there is no inter-dependency.  I can install either one separately
> and it does not pull in the other.

Thanks, I'll add an additional check to configure.

> > Regarding the bug report: libxslt-dev and xsltproc are new
> > dependencies since 2.5.6. I believe apt-get build-dep gnucash
> > installs the build dependencies for the stable version of gnucash.
> > So strictly speaking this is not a bug yet, but once gnucash 2.6
> > will be released, the apt-get command should install libxslt-dev
> > and xsltproc as well.
>
> That is interesting, when I updated the build instructions for Ubuntu
> 12.04 (at least I think I did that) I determined somehow that xsltproc
> was required.  I may have been wrong of course.

No, you're right. xsltproc is used to generate the changelog files from the svn logs. I'm not
sure though if this target is evaluated on the typical make all, make install or make dist runs.

New is that xsltproc is now used to generate a couple of source files. Without these files you
won't be able to build gnucash. So the requirement has become more visible.

And libxslt-dev is a new requirement.

Geert