Installing 2.5.6 on Ubuntu 13.10

Jon Dallara jondallara at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 10:35:33 EDT 2013

On 10/27/2013 12:23 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> John,
>
> To have it install in /usr you have to run configure --prefix=/usr
> before you run make and make install.
>
> Let me point out though that this is *not* a good idea. Installs in
> /usr are normally reserved for your package management system. By
> installing there, you are asking for trouble with apt-get and friends
> later on.
>
> /usr/local (the default) is also not recommended, because it's treated
> special by your system. Libraries found in there take precedence over
> libraries found in /usr. This explains the error you see below.
>
> If you build your own software, you are probably better off installing
> it in /opt. For example run configure --prefix=/opt/gnucash.
>
> If you like you can add /opt/gnucash/bin to your PATH afterwards so
> you can type gnucash instead of /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash to run your
> self-built version.
>
> HTH,
>
> Geert
>
> On Saturday 26 October 2013 19:47:44 Jon Dallara wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>

> > Think this question got lost in the last can of worms I opened.
>
> > Anyhow, make install puts the executable in /usr/local/bin instead of
>
> > /usr/bin as the 2.4.13 package installs from Software Center. How do I
>
> > modify make install to point to the /usr/bin directory. Its been
>
> > about 14 years since I've played with make.
>

> > Thanks,
>

> > Jon.
>

> > jon at jon-desktop:~/Downloads/gnucash-2.5.6$ whereis gnucash
>
> > gnucash: /usr/bin/gnucash /etc/gnucash /usr/bin/X11/gnucash
>
> > /usr/local/bin/gnucash /usr/local/etc/gnucash /usr/local/lib/gnucash
>
> > /usr/include/gnucash /usr/share/gnucash
>
> > /usr/share/man/man1/gnucash.1.gz
>
> > jon at jon-desktop:~/Downloads/gnucash-2.5.6$ echo $PATH
>
> > /usr/local/lib:/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
>
> > :/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/usr/local/
>
> > lib jon at jon-desktop:~/Downloads/gnucash-2.5.6$ gnucash
>
> > gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libgnc-gnome.so.0:
>
> > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> > jon at jon-desktop:~/Downloads/gnucash-2.5.6$ /usr/bin/gnucash
>
> > ERROR: Undefined variable: gnc-is-debugging
>
> > jon at jon-desktop:~/Downloads/gnucash-2.5.6$

Thanks.  I think that you might want to look at the Ubuntu apt-get
package then because apt-get was the original installation method. I've
been using the stable version installed through Software Center
(apt-get) up until now, so all the /usr entries are from the original
install of 2.4.

Jon.

--
Jon Dallara