Installing 2.5.6 on Ubuntu 13.10

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 27 11:06:14 EDT 2013

On 27 October 2013 14:35, Jon Dallara <jondallara at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks.  I think that you might want to look at the Ubuntu apt-get package
> then because apt-get was the original installation method. I've been using
> the stable version installed through Software Center (apt-get) up until now,
> so all the /usr entries are from the original install of 2.4.

Jon, I think maybe you misunderstand, or I do.  The point is that it
is not a good idea to install your own version into the same location
that apt-get uses, otherwise confusion can ensue.  It is best to
install it to a different location, it does not matter where really.
If you want to do that however it is entirely up to you, just set
--prefix to wherever you want.  I usually put it in a folder
indicating the version number so that I can keep track of which
version is which in case I have multiple versions at once, for example
the current release and the development version.

Colin