Reconcilliation warning dialog bug

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Mon Oct 28 16:28:47 EDT 2013

On 10/28/2013 09:24 AM, Ian Konen wrote:
> I think this is better in it's own thread, but David Pickett's ongoing
> reconciliation thread did bring up what I think should be considered
> an actual bug in GnuCash and may be the source of his original error:
>
> If I reconcile my checking account and then try to change a reconciled
> transaction from that register, I get a warning dialog.  Good!...I
> probably didn't mean to do that.
>
> If I switch to an expense account register (presumably not reconciled)
> and change the value of a "simple" two split transaction from that
> register while in the basic ledger view, GnuCash automatically updates
> both splits to the new value, and will not give me warning dialog if
> the other account's split had been reconciled.  Now I've changed up a
> reconciled split and may not even realize I've done it (cat on the
> keyboard as it were).
But if you change the amount an Imbalance is created and if you change
the amount for the reconciled account you get the warning again.  You
can enter the change to the reconciled account by changing Imbalanced to
say Checking but you'll see that the original split stays the same and
there is a new entry (An unreconciled entry) in the Checking register.
So it seems to me that you'd have to ignore Imbalanced or push a new
change in either case it seems to me that you are knowingly doing
something so why change how things work?

On the other hand I was recently very happy that I could change the
unreconciled parts of several splits(The amount in the reconciled
account was correct but I had gotten the splits to the other accounts
wrong) without undoing the reconciliation and not having to deal with
another dialog.