Reconcilliation warning dialog bug

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 28 17:09:36 EDT 2013

On 28 October 2013 20:28, David J. Bakeman <dbakeman at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 10/28/2013 09:24 AM, Ian Konen wrote:
>> I think this is better in it's own thread, but David Pickett's ongoing
>> reconciliation thread did bring up what I think should be considered
>> an actual bug in GnuCash and may be the source of his original error:
>>
>> If I reconcile my checking account and then try to change a reconciled
>> transaction from that register, I get a warning dialog.  Good!...I
>> probably didn't mean to do that.
>>
>> If I switch to an expense account register (presumably not reconciled)
>> and change the value of a "simple" two split transaction from that
>> register while in the basic ledger view, GnuCash automatically updates
>> both splits to the new value, and will not give me warning dialog if
>> the other account's split had been reconciled.  Now I've changed up a
>> reconciled split and may not even realize I've done it (cat on the
>> keyboard as it were).
> But if you change the amount an Imbalance is created

No it isn't in the simple case of a transaction which is only a
transfer from one account to another.  So for example if there is a
transaction of £10 from bank account to expense account which has been
reconciled in bank account.  Switch to the expense account (don't
expand the split) and change the amount.  Then switch back to the bank
account.  The amount has changed without warning even though it was
already reconciled.  I think this is a bug.

Colin