sub-totals

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Oct 31 08:44:22 EDT 2013

Carl Hofinga wrote:

>I am setting up placeholder accounts and individual chargeable accounts under them. The these chargeable accounts be sub-totaled and then a grand total at the end. For example: A placeholder account called Liquid Assets; then chargeable accounts called Cash in Bank, Cash in Wallet, Accounts Receivable, Note Receivable. There would be several more placeholder accounts with chargeable accounts below each of them. When printing the balance sheet, can these Place Holder groups be sub-totaled and then a Grand total  of these Placeholder groups?

Whether you want subtotals, whether you want the subtotal amounts on the
line with the initial account (parent) title or repeated below after the
group of children, etc. are all report options.

If you are new to gnucash, one of the things you should do when running
a report for the first time is to go through all of the options you are
allowed to choose to see what is available and which make your report
come out the way that you want it.

What makes gnucash perhaps tricky in this regard (makes it non obvious
that you HAVE options to select) is that you first run the report (and
it isn't how you like it) then with Edit => Report Options get a window
with pages of options for you to consider. You then can select an option
and apply it and gnucash reconfigures the report. That what you want? If
still not OK, well there are a lot more options you might want to choose.

Michael