General Ledger Issue: Unable to clear transaction once transacttion is "entered"

drouinj2 drouinj at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 31 15:34:35 EDT 2013

First Kudos to the people behind GnuCash; pretty cool tool!

Anyway, I currently moving from QuickBooks to GnuCash. For the most part,
the conversion  has been
relatively easy and successful. Until now, I have used the "General Ledger"
window to enter most transactions. In the case of "regular" transaction, I
have also duplicated existing transactions in each specific "Account"
register.

This is a new issue relating the General Ledger, although entering the
transaction using an Account register will yield the same results.

Basically, up to recently, when entering a "completed" transaction, the data
is moved to each account as expected.

For instance, entering a regular "Monthly Bank Service Charge: would
involved
	1) crediting the "Assets: Current Assets:Checking Account", and
	2) debiting the "Expenses: Bank Service Charge" account by the same amount.
	3) "clicking" the Enter button,
	4) At this point, in the past, the transaction would be "cleared" from the
general ledger and all required accounts are updated as required.

Now, with this new issue, all required accounts are updated as required, but
the transaction is NOT cleared from the general ledger. Just to be clear and
avoid any language issues, by clearing the General ledger, I mean "not being
visible in the ledger. Of course, the transaction still appears in the
General Journal as expected.

Just so you know, I have something like 19 pages worth the transactions. Up
to new issue, the earlier behavior has been consistent. I have tried many
different transactions, deleted the "un-cleareable ones", etc. Still getting
the same results.

Can any one tell what these "un-cleareable transactions" mean? I will gladly
provide more information if required.  Off hand I am not sure what else to
add here. This is a rather simple activity. I simply have no idea of what i
am doing wrong?

Any help is welcome.

Jean Drouin

Thanks in advance.