Installation issues

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Sep 4 08:53:16 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 03 September 2013 16:04:04 Helge Ramthun wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have two issues:
>
> 1. I have been using GnuCash 2.4.12 and later 2.4.13 under Windows 7
> for about 2 years now, with no problems (well, nothing worth
> mentioning anyway...). Out of curiotsity, I tried 2.5.3 and 2.5.4,
> after of course uninstalling the stable version and backing up my
> data file. I fiddled a bit with it, then waned to switch back. So I
> uninstalled 2.5.4 and reinstalled 2.4.13.
>
> However, now when I start GnuCash, it fails. It used to fail in a way
> that it complained about some DLL entry point. After reinstalling,
> some manual cleaning registry and whatnot, I got slighty further. Now
> it starts, shows the list of scheduled tranactions, then fails
> without any error message. So. I'm stuck. I have no idea what's
> wrong. Since uninstalling and clean install did not help, I'm lost.
> Any ideas?

You probably had some report(s) open when you closed the file under
gnucash 2.5.x. Unfortunately this means that 2.4 chokes on the metadata
for your book whihc is now in a new format. The easiest way to proceed
is to remove the metadata file. You won't loose any real data by doing
so. GnuCash will only forget which tabs/windows you had previously open.

The metadata file can be found in
c:\users\<yourusername>\.gnucash\books
In there you should find a file with the same name as your book, but
ending in .gcm. Just remove that file and you should be able to start
GnuCash again.

To avoid this in the future, I have just committed a fix to the
development tree that is more careful in reloading reports that were
still open the last time you ran Gnucash. This code will first appear in
GnuCash 2.5.5 (to be released very soon). That should allow you to
switch between 2.5.5+ and 2.4.x without running into this issue again.

> 2. My second problem is about the GnuCash companion for Android. I
> have a Samsung Galaxys S2, with latest Android version available for
> this phone. I can install the app, no problem. I did export my
> account structure (if you wonder how I did that given the issue 1: I
> currently use my wife's computer to keep my accs up to date...). Now
> I want to import them in the companion. I copied the file to some
> folder (does it have to be a specific one?), started the app and
> easily found the import accs option. However, when I do so, an error
> message pops up: Header: "Select GnuCash account file", body:
> "Anwendung für diese Aktion kann nicht gefunden werden.". Again,
> what's up?

I'm afraid I can't help you with this part. GnuCash for Android is an
independent project and I'm not using it myself.

Geert