Which file format to pick for import of split bookings

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 6 11:28:29 EDT 2013

Hi,

Guido Flohr <guido.flohr at imperia.bg> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to batch import bookings with multiple debit and credit accounts
> involved per booking.
>
> Can somebody recommend me, which file format to use? As far as I
> understood the German documentation on the topic, CSV and QIF are ruled
> out, because the bookings are split on both sides.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "split on both sides".  Could
you give an example of a transaction like this?  QIF *does* support a
"standard" split transaction, and I'm pretty sure it can deal with more
complicated split transactions as well.

> QFX looks rather convoluted to me for that simple purpose.

... and doesn't support split transactions.

> What about generating .log files and replaying them? Is that a viable
> solution? If it is, can somebody explain me what the field "split_guid"
> is used for, resp. what I should write into it?

I would not recommend this approach.  The log file format is not
standardized and is subject to change at a whim.  To answer your
question, the split_guid is the Global Unique IDentifier (GUID) of the
Split.