Cloud options?

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 21:58:50 EDT 2013

This thread is veering heavily into issues of GnuCash development, and has
already spawned a companion thread on the gnucash-develop mailing list.  I
am not a moderator/coordinator, but perhaps it would be reasonable to
wind-down this thread on this list?  The gnucash-develop mailing list is
also public, for those who want to continue it there.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8 at verizon.net>wrote:

> It would also need the gnucash program to operate on the database as a
> bunch of transactions. I imagine that will be a very-long term goal for
> the project, but it would be very difficult. I.e., almost as hard as
> re-writing a hunk of the program from scratch. Hence the delay.

Exactly.  The main developers who are working on this know what it takes,
and have a game-plan for making the necessary changes.  The timeframe is
long, long enough that I'd expect a transaction-safe DB-backed GnuCash for
multiple simultaneous instances to be a version 4.0 project, not a 2.6
project.

> But assuming that is done, you would need no more dbms changing. I do
> not know what you mean by "control aspect."

I was quoting Mike Novak, who suggested that with a proper DBMS,
applications would need to be modified to run under it's control.  That
aspect, the modifying of GnuCash to run under the control of a DBMS, is the
hard part, not getting an open source DBMS up to the job.  i.e., I wasn't
talking about a "control aspect", I was talking about a "'would need
adjustment to run under its control' aspect", with the long quoted phrase
an adjectival modifier to "aspect".