Cloud options?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Sep 10 22:52:01 EDT 2013

On Sep 10, 2013, at 6:58 PM, Buddha Buck <blaisepascal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was quoting Mike Novak, who suggested that with a proper DBMS,
> applications would need to be modified to run under it's control.  That
> aspect, the modifying of GnuCash to run under the control of a DBMS, is the
> hard part, not getting an open source DBMS up to the job.  i.e., I wasn't
> talking about a "control aspect", I was talking about a "'would need
> adjustment to run under its control' aspect", with the long quoted phrase
> an adjectival modifier to "aspect".

That's not really correct. A db-backed application remains in control, but it uses
db features like record-level locking and update signals to allow multiple instances
of the application to work on the same database without stepping on each other
while keeping all users appraised of what the others have done.

It's possible to move more of the logic to the database in the form of "stored procedures".
I suppose that that might be interpreted as transferring control to the dbms,
but it requires writing a version for each supported dbms of all of the business logic;
stored procedures aren't portable between dbmses. I don't think we want to go
in that direction.

Regards,
John Ralls