how to represent utilities that can have a negative balance?

Drew Heath andrew.m.heath at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 03:48:08 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble searching the archives so please forgive me for an easy
question:

My mobile phone provider uses a pay-as-you-go model and will tolerate a
negative balance for up to 8 weeks.

My typical usage pattern for this account is to go several hundred below
zero (thereby owing them money) during a month's usage, then recharge the
account with a bank transfer several hundred above zero (stockpiling a bit
of credit against future usage).

I'm not sure how to handle such an account in GnuCash.

I started GnuCash on September 1st and used Equity for all my opening
balances, but this account began with a negative 200 balance.

Should I also create an opening liability account for this expense?

How do I handle monthly usage bills and recharge payments?

Thank you for any help you can provide,

- Drew