how to represent utilities that can have a negative balance?

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 11 04:10:53 EDT 2013

I'd set it up like a credit card. Phone company charges are charged to
it from your Expenses:Utilities:Phone:Mobile account (or wherever), and
then your payments go from your Assets:Savings (or wherever) when you
pay into it. It goes into credit sometimes, but then I can pre-load
credit onto my credit cards, too.

And I'd just set up a negative equity entry (value on the Decrease side
in the Equity account) to represent the debt that the account originally
had. That's exactly what I did with a credit card that had an initial
charge against it when I started using Gnucash. My Equity:Opening
Balances account has both Increase and Decrease entries, and so its
balance represents the net equity that I had at the time - my total
savings less my total debts.

Not an accountant.

Peter