Cost Basis on Portfolio

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 19:38:20 EDT 2013

On 9/16/2013 5:27 PM, dat30 dat30 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have looked around the forum and played with GnuCash but I'm unable to make this work. So I thought I'd send an email.
>
> Bought 50 shares of ABC on 1/1/2013 for 18
> Bought 50 shares of ABC on 2/2/2013 for 17
> Sold 50 shares of ABC on 3/3/2013 for 16.
>
> A) The portfolio uses average cost basis by default. I changed that to FIFO, but it doesn't work correctly either.
>
> B) I thought, may be the I didn't specify the lot when I entered the Sell order. So, I did a Scrub Lot to identify which lot of 50 shares that I want to sell (the first one). That didn't help either.
>
> Finally on a separate note, there have been some funds sold as FIFO and some as average price. How do I reflect that on the basis?
>
> Thanks.
> Dat

Chapter 8 of the Tutorial covers the mechanics of entering sale
transactions.  The gains or losses do not get automatically calculated
and entered.  They must be calculated and entered manually.  This has
been discussed frequently in the user maillist.
Your stockbroker should be able to give you the information that you
need for your tax return.
 You will find that the numbers will not exactly match what GnuCash does
unless you also track commissions and expenses separately in a way that
allows tracking the expenses by lots, which is not well documented in
the manual.  I personally use a spreadsheet for that part, other users
have their own favorite methods.

David C