error parsing file > no suitable back end was found

hospes hanukenovember at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 06:13:13 EDT 2013

hi

Last week I spent some hours updating transactions on gnucash.
I saved the file at each prompt.
I do have backups to use.

when I tried to open my gnu cash file the following morning I received the
parsing file error described in many posts.

I spent my day trying to rectify it using these posts.  I've spent much more
time than I can afford now on this file so I' going to redo the lost work.

I didn't want the information to go unused.

this is a summary of what I found and where I ended up.

gnucash_bug_summary.txt
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4664117/gnucash_bug_summary.txt>

The  backup file from the previous save doesn't have the transaction I
removed the character from.  All backup files after it have the same
problem. GNU cash allowed me to continue working and saving with this error
built in.
I had intended to continue working for a few more hours but my brother came
to visit, I could have lost more work.

The character I removed was imported from a Paypal transaction list.
downloaded as csv converted to QIF using lloyd's converter ( thanks lloyd,
it's super helpful! ).
I've come across the same character in the name field which stops the import
of QIF files.

The character if viewed in my paypal account online is a chinese symbol.

the character in excel, word and notepad is a, calibri  RIGHTWARDS ARROW
(U+2192)

I have just tried to copy from notepad to libre office and it doesn't
display anything.

I tried to have a look at he bug reports but as a new user I couldn't find
anything which could help me further.
I haven't reported this as a new bug in case it's a duplicate.

I have tried this on windows xp and windows 7 and the results are identical.

my ubuntu box is not working at the moment so can't test it.

I hope this information is helpful to someone.

Kind Regards
Luke