Canadian Stock & Mutual Fund Quotes Not Working - SOLVED

barriebarry robinsonbarry at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 16 22:42:25 EDT 2013

I've found the solution on how to retrieve Canadian mutual funds and to get
to the bottom line, here's the 2 key factors to make it work when setting up
the security in the securities editor:

1. Use "BMO NebittBurns,CA" as the Quote source.
2. The "symbol/abbreviation" must include a comma <,> followed by the index
or type. i.e. "MF" for Canadian Mutual Fund.

It took some poking about to find the details but here's where I found it:

http://search.cpan.org/~ecocode/Finance-Quote-1.18/

Here you'll find the details on each of the modules used within
Finance::Quote as selectable from the Security Editor tool within GnuCash.
When you select the Quote Source from the drop down menu, you are selecting
from the same list of modules listed on the above website.  However, what is
not explained in the GnuCash user's manual is that each of these sources
have differences on how the securities are specified.  For the BMO source,
the key syntax is "the stock symbol, a comma, and then the index or type".
The supported indexes and types are:

  T    Toronto Stock Exchange
  MF   Canadian Mutaul Fund
  V    Canadian venture Exchange
  I    Index
  X    U.S Stocks (most exchanges)

For the mutual fund "CI Covington Fund II Series I UNRST-DSC", it is listed
as symbol CIG912.  Therefore I would enter "CIG912,MF" (without the quotes)
as the symbol in the security editor.

The other quote sources for Canadian mutual funds appear to be a lot more
complicated and once I got it to work with BMO, I didn't try the others.