Entry Date versus Transaction Date

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Sep 22 18:17:48 EDT 2013

thughes wrote:

>Does GNUCash capture the date a transaction was entered into the file? Is is
>possible to search, or report on this date?

Explain what you are trying to do. What use do you plan to make of this
date? It doesn't have a bookkeeping meaning. While each transaction  has
an "effective date" (the date of the transaction)  when the transaction
is actually entered is pretty much irrelevant (as long as prior to the
date of any report intended to include this transaction is run -- again,
irrespective of the effective date(s) of that report).

That being said, in my day I did things like designing and writing
programs that used the entry dates of activity. But those were
MANAGEMENT reports. For example, how many transactions did each clerical
worker process in a month, etc. Not part of the bookkeeping itself but
about the process of keeping the books. Not really the same thing.

Michael