Importing journal entries

swallace shawn.wallace at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 26 02:41:41 EDT 2013

I'm an accountant and just started using Gnucash for one of my clients. I'm
having trouble getting it to import journal entries. Most of my source data
is in Excel already, so my plan of attack is to write a simple python script
to convert a csv to qif, then import to Gnucash. The problem is the the QIF
format is bizarre to me. How do I tell it which account to debit and which
account to credit? I've looked over the QIF specifications but it isn't very
helpful. I've also played around with various csv to qif converters online
but didn't have very much luck.

Here is an example of a simple entry I want to do:

(09/26/2013)
Purchases $500
                     Cash $500
(purchased inventory at ABC mart)