Compiling method and mysql on OSX

Benjamin Martens bdmartens at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 11:02:03 EDT 2013

Hi John,

What is onerous is setting up the build environment and hunting down
all of the dependencies.  I've spent about 4-5 hours on it so far, and
unfortunately as it is my wife's laptop, I can have it for big chunks
to fully chase everything down at once.

It is nice having the script for jhbuild to follow, but unfortunately
it often seems to throw an error ('failed') rather than prompt and
download the required dependency.

Currently my process is:  Try and compile.  Lots of text across the
terminal, wait 5-10 minutes as it works, then I get a failed message.
I look back, find what has caused this.  Find out what package that
application was supposed to be in, and see if it is installed already
in a different than expected location.  Install that dependency in
jhbuild.  Try again, and then hunt down the next problem.

I have heard that homebrew is much better in downloading dependencies,
and while the guys at Apple don't really like 'unsupported' external
build environments, this one was better than the others (from this
friend's personal experience).

As I look further into it, it looks like the reason jhbuild is used is
as gtk-osx requires it, and no-one has stepped up to getting gtk-osx
working in homebrew.  It makes sense, then, why gnucash wouldn't use
homebrew at this point.

--

With regards to getting GnuCash installed on OSX, with MySQL enabled,
this is my understanding of the steps.  Please let me know if I am

1) Install GnuCash  (may simply use the apropriate (intel vs ppc)
pre-packaged dmg from the gnucash website).
 - easy
 - in looking through the documentation, it seems like you don't have
to compile the application yourself anymore, so it should have the
capability to see the MySQL module when it is added

2) Compile MySQL module
 - complicated
 - requires:
 -- Install MySQL for OSX
 -- Install XTools
 -- Install gtk-osx  (find instructions, follow them for its order /
dependencies / etc)
 -- download .jhbuilrc-custom
 -----  modify the .jhbuildrc-custom script as documented within it to
enable mySQL
 -- run sanitycheck
 -- build the driver:  jhbuild build libdbi-drivers
 --- potentially several dependencies to hunt down and install
  -- should produce the file: libdbdmysql.so

3) Place the driver into: Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/lib/dbd
 -- should be easy

4) Open GnuCash, open MySQL location, and the rest should work easily.
 - with the awareness that GnuCash is a one-user-at-a-time
application, so only one person should be logged into the MySQL
database at a time.

-------

Thanks for your feedback John!
-Ben