Canada Business End-of-Year Tax Statement (T4) generation.

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Thu Apr 3 13:15:31 EDT 2014

On 03/04/14 05:00 AM, R. Victor Klassen wrote:
> I have not been able to figure out how to get GNUCash to tell me everything I need to know at the end of the year for the purpose of T4 slips.
> We have more like 8 employees, and last year I used a spreadsheet to track everything from hours worked to EI withheld.
Really - that's the best approach for that many.  Anything else is much
too complicated and prone to error.  Doing it all within GnuCash worked
for me only because there were only two regular employees, and not
having to deal with EI did simplify it somewhat.

> I’m guessing you use the online deductions calculator.   To do so you need to record somewhere - even if only by printing the summary sheet it provides per employee - the year to date amounts.   At the end of the year you can copy them into the online T4 form.
I used that myself, and downloaded the result.  If you use Okular for
pdf files, with a little fiddling around you can copy and paste from the
downloaded deductions form and reduce the likelihood of error.

> It turns out there is no need to keep a separate liabilities account for EI and CPP (but there should be one for WSIB).   The government gives us no way of distinguishing them until T4 time.

I assume, though, that the employer must still remit 1.4 times the EI
deduction, which suggests at least an additional item in the split.

Cheers

Cam