Canada Business End-of-Year Tax Statement (T4) generation.

Damon Erickson damon at metapaso.com
Tue Apr 8 15:54:59 EDT 2014

I'm still trying to decide whether to keep track of the totals in excel
and then duplicate the transactions into GnuCash (arrgh duplicate
labour) or whether to use subaccounts for an all-GnuCash process.

My problem is that I've only done the year-end totals once (end of 2013
using excel), and I'm not comfortable with the implications of using
GnuCash if I can't sort/filter the data that I need. The extra layer
here is in the methodology we use to claim childcare expenses, which
requires individualized totals for every employee.

Seems like for maximal coverage of all the things I currently track in
excel, I would need:

Expenses:Payroll:Employee1
Expenses:Payroll:Employee2
Expenses:CPP:Employee1
Expenses:CPP:Employee2
Expenses:EI:Employee1
Expenses:EI:Employee2

Liabilities:CRA:FedWitholding:Employee1
Liabiltiies:CRA:FedWitholding:Employee2
Liabilities:CRA:ProvWitholding:Employee1
Liabilities:CRA:ProvWitholding:Employee2
Liabilities:CRA:CPP:Witholding:Employee1
Liabilities:CRA:CPP:Witholding:Employee2
Liabilities:CRA:CPP:Employer:Employee1
Liabilities:CRA:CPP:Employer:Employee2
Liabilities:CRA:EI:Witholding:Employee1
Liabilities:CRA:EI:Witholding:Employee2
Liabilities:CRA:EI:Employer:Employee1
Liabilities:CRA:EI:Employer:Employee2

These are the values I track in excel.  We have turnover of maybe one
employee per year, maybe fewer.  Is this even sane?  It seems so prone
to error, like if I accidentally put the wrong split, this could get
really out of hand.

What do you think I should do? Is there a good tutorial on filtering in
GnuCash?  I don't see any intuitive interface anywhere.

Damon