Cash Flow Report Changes

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 19:07:38 EDT 2014

I skipped over this thread when it first came up, but I just noticed the
behavior described in #722140. My use case for the cash flow report appears
to match that of Tim Barber and John Halton.

In my household/personal finance (no business features) scenario, I pay a
single vendor for electricity and natural gas. Further, I pay a flat amount
(averaged monthly payment) regardless of usage. Once or twice per year, the
utility will true-up what I've paid with what I owe (or they owe me since
the difference can go either way).

I track the actual monthly expense based on usage and offset the remainder
against a "prepaid expense" asset account.

The transaction looks like this in the register:
Expenses:Utilities:Electricity.......69.18
Expenses:Utilities:Natural Gas...122.18
Assets:Checking.................................(141.00)
Assets:Prepaid Expenses......................(50.36)

In the cash flow report (selecting only Assets:Checking) however, it looks
like this:
Expenses:Utilities:Electricity........50.97
Expenses:Utilities:Natural Gas.....90.03

I understand Carsten's argument (I think) about physical flows, but I think
there is a clear use case for a cash flow report that addresses logical
flows. In other words, my combined expense for electricity and natural gas
was $191.36, but I only paid $141.00 this month and that remaining $50.36
had to come from *somewhere*.

I tried the suggestion of using the Transaction Report with the "Other
Account Name" checked. This, however, didn't solve my problem because the
transactions with multiple splits are just reported in that report as
"Split Transaction".